Monday 9 May 2016

Mother's Day

Mother's Day isn't so much about appreciation at this point.  I mean I know that Parker appreciates me in the only way that he knows how.  He probably shows more appreciation right now than he will in 5 years.  These days I'm getting lots of hugs and kisses and it's great!
But I found this Mother's Day to be more about reflecting on motherhood.  Motherhood has changed me in ways that I never could have expected.  I knew I would love my kids, but until you have them you don't know how overwhelming and all consuming that love is.  

There are moments where Parker drives me absolutely bonkers.  (Like right now as he's getting into everything he shouldn't.)  But I love the kid to death.  I never get tired of his kisses.  And when he's in trouble it takes everything in me to not just snuggle him.  

I also appreciate my own mother so much more than I ever did before because I understand her now.  As a kid you have these expectations of what a mom should do.  And to a point those expectations are accurate, because now I know I would do anything for Parker.  But that doesn't mean it's easy.  It's hard work being a parent.  Kids are needy and want attention constantly.  They get into trouble and refuse to eat their dinner.  They wake up at 2am because they are teething and although you want to sleep sometimes you have to get up to comfort them.  They poop, a lot, and it's disgusting.  


But they are also energetic and filled with joy and giggles.  And they love you so unconditionally.  And so I do everything I can for that little tiny boy because he needs me and I need him.  
Happy Mother's Day baby boy, thanks for making me a mommy.
And a picture of Parker being silly, just because



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment