Sunday 26 February 2017

A Harry Potter Inspired Room

When Parker was moving into his big boy room, I thought it would be really neat to do a Harry Potter inspired room.  Parker is obviously too young to choose what he wants in his room and I knew I didn't want to be buying him character bed spreads or anything.  And obviously I love Harry Potter and am really hoping that I can push that love onto my kids if at all possible.

I'm hoping it's not overwhelmingly Harry Potter.  I think that everything in there is kind of neat, but maybe that's just me!

I started with the decal that I bought off Etsy.  There are a few Dumbledore quotes that I love and I was going to choose one of those, but then I came across the one that said "I solemnly swear that I am up to no good" and nothing could be more fitting for our little trouble maker.


He also has "Whoo Whoo" on his bed, his very own owl for him to take to Hogwarts. 

I also bought a lumos/nox decal for the light switch.  For those non-Harry Potter fans, Lumos is the magic word to turn a light on your wand and Nox is how you turn it off.

Then I did a little gallery wall.  I didn't want it to be a whoa! Harry Potter! wall, so I tried to mix things up a bit.  I bought two pictures off Etsy, the Harry Potter glasses and the Hogwarts version of Starry Night, which I thought was really neat.  Then I added a couple of Parker's newborn pictures.  The double frame has a picture of the Hogwarts Express that I took at Universal Studios and a picture of the train tracks that are used in the movie that my cousin took while in Scotland.  I love that I was able to throw in a few real photographs that are still related to Harry Potter.  Then I arranged all of the frames around my wand, which is actually Ginny Weasley's wand.





One of the first things that I bought was this chest for the room that is supposed to be the type of chest that Harry would take to school with him.

On the shelf I have Parker's illustrated Harry Potter books, a Marauders Map, a white owl or Hedwig Scentsy and a Gryffindor scarf.

Finally, what has been holding this room up is the DIY items.  These things always take me longer than expected!

First up is my Free Dobby sock holder.  For those who don't know, Dobby is a house elf.  House elves must serve their family, unless they are freed by being presented with a piece of clothing.  Harry freed the Malfoy's house elf Dobby by presenting him with a sock.  But this also serves the useful purpose of being a place to hold mismatched socks.  Too bad I have about 20 of those right now and there isn't actually enough clips for them.

My second project was a flying keys mobile. I cut out wings from a Harry Potter book, glued them onto keys and tied them with fishing line onto the mobile.  


I really like how everything turned out and hope that some day Parker thinks it's neat when he finally understands Harry Potter! 
And this is real life.  So his room does have a mess of toys in the corner and a playpen, because some days the big boy bed just doesn't work out for us.

Hogwarts Starry Night - Etsy
Harry Potter glasses print - Etsy
I Solemnly Swear decal - Etsy
Lumos/Nox Decal - Etsy
Ginny Weasley's Wand - Universal Studios Orlando
Picture Frames - Homesense
Scarf - My Mother-in-law :)
Ceramic Owl - Scentsy
Marauders Map - Indigo 
Bed Spread - Ikea
Chest - Antique Warehouse
Keys for Mobile - mixture of Amazon and actual antique keys found at an antique market



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment