Monday 12 February 2018

The Products We Use

I spent an evening entering the products in my house into the Think Dirty app on my phone.  Guys, it was terrifying.


I hate that we read stuff and are scared.  The flu is freaking me out right now.  But the flu shot also freaks me out.  And as parents, and just human beings, it's scary and confusing, and what is the right answer?

But the truth of the matter is, that we can only ignore the facts and what we are exposing our bodies to for so long.  When we know better, I feel like we have a responsibility to do better.  However, it's definitely a progress vs perfection situation.  I'm trying to rid my home of toxins, but it's definitely hard to do it all at once.  So it's a process.  I've eliminated a lot of chemicals that were used for cleaning.  But now I've looked at our personal care products, and although I know that I need to get rid of all of the things with fragrance, it's hard when couponer Kaileigh has stocked up on this stuff....

OK so basically I put a bunch of the products in my house into this app.  They rate products from 0-10, 0 being the healthiest.  The kid's Live Clean soap was pretty good, so that's a relief.  But that's where it stopped.  My body wash, terrible.  My shampoo, terrible.  Who knew.... Even my high quality hair products aren't great.  A lot of these products are known carcinogens or cause reproductive and developmental issues.  A ton of them have allergens, and although we aren't dealing with any major allergies, I do have skin issues that are likely caused by some sort of allergy that I've just never figured out.  Is this why so many people get cancer or have trouble getting pregnant?  Are we doing this to ourselves and just choosing to ignore the damage that we are doing?

Let's be honest, I'm never going to eliminate all of these products from our home. (Well maybe I will, but I'm not going to go throw everything out immediately.)  But I can reduce them.  I have plans to make my own soaps and lotions.  (Actually really easy if you buy the ingredients.  You can also obviously purchase better products, but if you know me you know I like to save money.  I got most of the products we have for next to nothing, so that's a lot of the reason why this is so hard for me.)  

I'm trying to be real and authentic and sharing my journey with wellness and essential oils.  Because I know there are a ton of people out there who say you can't be healthy and do this and this and if you do you are basically a bad person.  But the fact of the matter is, change is hard.  It's a process.  Not everybody is ready for it.  But you can take small steps and every little bit counts.  

I really love this lotion...

No comments:

Post a Comment