Monday 29 July 2013

Prince George

So I'm a bit late on this one, but I feel that something like the birth of a future King of England needs to be mentioned.  It's kind of a big deal.  And although a lot of people seem to be annoyed and don't understand why there is so much media coverage of it, like it or not, this is a big moment in history. 

My mom used to talk about how she got up early to watch Diana and Charles wedding, and so when Kate and William were married, I made sure that I got up early to watch as well.  I still remember where I was when we found out that Princess Diana had died, even though I was young enough that I didn't fully understand it.  So the birth of this baby is important.

I was somewhat disappointed with the name choice.  George just doesn't seem like a baby name to me and I had high hopes that William and Kate would buck tradition just a little bit.  I shouldn't have been surprise because their wedding was also very traditional.  I think that had the baby been a girl, we might have had something a bit more modern but still a name fit for a queen.  Something like Charlotte or Sophie maybe.  I'm very interested to see how the name George jumps up on the baby names list.

But I think that the most fascinating aspect of this whole thing, is pictures like this:
LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM - JULY 23: (EMBARGOED FOR PUBLICATION IN UK NEWSPAPERS UNTIL 48 HOURS AFTER CREATE DATE AND TIME) Catherine, Duchess of Cambrid...
{via}
I saw one article that said that it was disrespectful to women that there is so much discussion about Kate showing off her post-baby bump.  I think that it's the complete opposite.  Women gain a lot of their insight on post-pregnancy bodies from celebrities.  You don't see celebrities come out after having a baby until their body is back in pre-baby shape.  Which seems to be about 3 weeks after giving birth.  This is completely unrealistic and gives women and unrealistic goal when it comes to having a baby.  I bet a lot of people don't even realize that your stomach doesn't just disappear when you give birth.  So I think that it's fantastic that Kate is showing that she's a real woman and that the post-baby bump is irrelevant when you have a new baby in your arms.

So congratulations to William and Kate on the birth of their new son!  I hope that they are truly enjoying every minute of it. 
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment