Thursday 28 August 2014

10 Years Ago

Lifelong Learners - I have to give students the skills so that they can continue learning even after they leave me.   Examples - communication skills, primary document analysis, presentation skills, working well in collaborative groups, etc.
10 years ago I was getting ready to start my last year of high school.  10 years!  I can't believe that.  Time really goes by so quickly!

I didn't hate high school, but I don't want to go back.  You know how they tell you to enjoy it, and it's only 4 years and you will miss that time when it's gone?  That's so wrong.  People want to go back to their twenties, not their teens!

But, I digress.  So here are some things that I wish I had known before high school.


  • It doesn't last forever, but while you're there it might seem like it.  Don't let that get you down!  
  • Hang out with who you want to hang out with and make sure that they're people who make you feel good about yourself.  Not having a huge group of friends can be tough, but in the long run you will be happier with a few close friends who are really there for you.
  • Some of your friends will be friends for a long time, some of them won't.  And that's ok.
  • Don't pick on people.  I found my high school was pretty good for bullying, but even if it's not, you don't want to be that person. 
  • Take a variety of courses.  You never know what information might actually come in handy later.  I'm not a lawyer, but I took law.  I wish I had taken economics as it would have made university much easier.  And people if you are thinking of going to business school at all, take accounting!  And take courses that interest you, not just the ones that are going to get you furthur, because that knowledge will still be useful.
  • Don't worry so much!  Sure grades matter and to be able to understand what's going on in Grade 11 math you probably need Grade 10 math, but getting a 65 in Grade 9 Geography when you know that you aren't going to keep taking Geography?  It's not the end of the world!  


Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment