Monday 10 September 2012

Row Row Row Your Boat

This weekend I learnt to row.  I had been wanting to row for a long time.  I wished that I had of joined the rowing team while I was in University.  This was because it's a sport that you can pick up at the age of 18.  Most people don't go to university with rowing experience when they join the team.  Also, it's an amazing workout.  Rowing works your whole body.  I saw those rowers at school and they were buff.

So after the Olympics this year, I thought, why don't I just do it?  There are 3 rowing clubs nearby me, so I looked into one of them, and they were having a two day learn to row session this weekend.  5 hours on Saturday and 5 hours on Sunday.  So I signed up.  I tried to get somebody to do it with me, but there was no interest.  So I went alone.  That is terrifying enough without even adding to it that I had to get into a tiny boat on a dirty river.

There I am, in the middle.  See me?  Oh no wait, that's the Olympic team, I am definitely not in that picture.
{via}
Unfortunately I don't have any photographic evidence of this adventure.  You are going to have to take my word for it.  Let me tell you this though, it's not as easy as they make it look in the Olympics.  

Over the course of the weekend I spent time in a one person, two person and four person boat.  The one person was very difficult.  Hence why I ended up in the river.  With seaweed wrapping around my legs.  After a minor panic attack I got back into my boat.  The two person was tricky, because the boat is still very small and the movements of either person can cause it to tip.  The four person boat was awesome!  It was so steady that we could all stand up in it at the same time.  And you can really get moving!  Since it's very unlikely to tip, this is when I felt like I got the best workout because you can just row hard without worrying about movements.  I learnt the most from the one person though because every time you do something wrong, you know about it.  If you do something really wrong you are swimming.

So I may or may not go back.  It was fun, but it's a self motivated sport and I don't know if I would be good at that when I don't have to go to practice.  Also, just to show why I don't do outfit posts, here is what I wore.  What can I say, I'm an athlete.   I just hope the river stench comes out of these clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment