Friday 4 October 2013

Delirium: A Book Review

Delirium (Delirium, #1)

I recently finished the book Delirium by Lauren Oliver.  I'm all over the dystopian young adult books these days.  I really really like them, so I'm always looking for a new series to read.

Basically, Delirium is about a future world where the United States has decided that love is a disease.  When you turn 18, you receive a cure for this disease.  They match adults up with a partner whom they live with and have children with.  They think that they have fixed everything because the world seems calmer and the divorce rate is almost at zero.  (Well of course it is, because people have no feelings.  I feel that if they can't love, they probably can't hate either.)

So the book is about Lena, who is almost 18 and is really excited about getting her cure.  A lot of young people get the disease (fall in love) before they are cured and it makes them crazy.  She is sure it can't happen to her though.

I liked this book.  It wasn't as good as The Hunger Games or Divergent, but I still found it enjoyable.  I think that overall it was a love story first and conflict second, and that's maybe what didn't get my attention as much.  But the idea that love was a disease was fascinating to me.  I would recommend it to anyone who likes dystopian books.  I also read Pandemonium, which is the second book.  It has a bit more conflict in it and was more enthralling that Delerium.  Now I'm just waiting for 17 more people to read the third book requiem and then I can get it from the library!
Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment