Thursday 27 March 2014

Who Am I?

The other day my sister and I were discussing what defines us.  We know people who define themselves by the school they go to, the job that they have or the sport that they play.  And maybe that is normal, but to me it seems like those things aren't really important in the long run.

I read an obituary once that went into full detail about everywhere that the woman had worked in her lifetime.  She had two children, and yet only their names were mentioned, not their achievements or the impact that they had on her life.  All we read about was her jobs.  And I thought when I read it, I hope that is never me.

My sister recently started a blog and her tagline is "Kindergarten teaching nutrition pushing sales stylist."  It perfectly describes her.  Sure being a kindergarten teacher has a huge impact on her life, but there is more to her than that. We are more than what we do.  It's about what we care about, what we are passionate about and how we affect other people.


But who am I?  I guess maybe I often do define myself as an Accountant or a Brock University graduate. And I'm proud of those things.  Brock shaped me into the person I am, but I chose to be an accountant based on certain qualities.  I use the term accountant to define my personality, not to just let people know what my career is.  Because at the end of the day, it's about what you come home to, not what you do for work.

I'm "thrifty".  Some may call me cheap.  But I just like to be careful with my money.  I like to have more money than I need.  I'm saving it for a rainy day I guess.  I constantly say I have no money.  That's a lie.  I have lots.  It just happens to be in a savings account and recorded on a spreadsheet where it is allocated to something special.  

I'm an animal lover.  Talking to people?  Not my favourite.  Talking to animals, I could do it all day.  Maybe that makes me crazy.  But my cat doesn't think I'm crazy.

I'm an introvert.  I am so very much an introvert.

I have a strange sense of humour.  I get it from my father.

I love my family.  I could spend way more time with them than I should.  Not that it's a bad thing, it's just I wouldn't get much else done.  




I'm a planner.  You know what they say: We plan, God laughs.  Story of my life.  But I will keep planning anyways.

So basically, I may not have a tagline defining who I am, and some days I really don't think that I have a clue who I am, but I'm working on it.

Photobucket

 

No comments:

Post a Comment